Change of plan.....The piece of alabaster didn't feel quite right for this carving, so looking through the college store of stones, I found this bit of soapstone which is black with little flecks of white and should look lovely when polished. It's quite narrow, so I'll use the last maquette as the main source, and possibly elongate the face on the stone. I made a start on the rough shaping, rounding one of the facets and starting to saw off a piece to form the chin. Ran out of time so will have to finish that bit next week.
I started writing this blog in December 2016, but it covers projects started in spring 2015 onwards, so it was written retrospectively until I caught up with the current term.